Skip to main content

Warm Snuggly Cocoon Shrug

This is one of my long term projects that I just wanted to get off my needles. When these types of patterns started showing up I was interested in making one. It looked simple and fast and cozy. What more do you want?
Warm Snuggly Cocoon Shrug (free knitting pattern, easy)Warm Snuggly Cocoon Shrug (free knitting pattern, easy)

Described as a wrap, shrug, bolero, and even sweater, it is just a large rectangle, either crochet or in this case knitted. When the rectangle is large enough. Just fold it in two, sewing the sides together. .

Easy concept. I picked out a free pattern, The Lion Brand, Speckled Shrug (free pattern here) I always like to look at the finished projects on Ravelry and read the comments everyone has made that knitted the item.  Seems like knitters were split into two camps. The make it smaller and more fitted and Bolero jacket like. The other group was to make it bigger. I noticed that the problem with this shape of this pattern is a baggy bottom after sitting. (like once). I had already made another pattern that was a bolo jacket so opted to make mine fairly large and oversized to make it snuggly for the cold.
It turned out good. I did try to add sleeves, and they really didn’t look good. I wanted a ribbed sleeve. I tried picking up stitches all around and doing a k2p2 pattern, but it looked bad. I also tried to crochet some looser sleeves and didn’t care for those either.
I used 3 skeins of Lion Brand Fisherman’s yarn (which I love), the pattern was all in stockinette stitch, which was good for TV, movie knitting, but went on for quite a while. I would recommend using a simple pattern to keep it interesting. I just use a shawl pin to keep the front together.
IMG_6597IMG_6596
41 inches across                                                            about 19.5 inches wide
Photo above is already folded in half, leave approx. 7 inches at fold open for arm holes.
IMG_6598 (2)When the pattern is folded and sewn together the seam is right in the middle front of the shrug.
IMG_6602
I’m happy with how this turned out, but would not knit it again. In fact I’m entertaining the idea of frogging it and reknitting the yarn into something else.  OK update  I would reknit this, I started wearing it and can throw it over anything due to the large arms and general size, I’ve put it over sweatshirts and tees. The thing I didn’t think I would like (no arms) is actually a big plus. We keep our house cool and it is nice to be able to work around the house and not have sleeves getting wet or dragging through stuff.
I would say it is as much knitting as a real sweater, and not near as flattering . My husband calls it my “bottom warmer”, haha, If you are a pear shape, as I am, it can emphasize this. But with this amount of knitting, if you are using this as a “bridge” between scarves and simple knitting to sweaters,  I would recommend an easy sweater/cardigan pattern instead. You could do it!!
A couple of simple sweaters I would recommend are: (free patterns) that are suitable for beginners as well as experienced knitters.
Caora Sweater -- https://www.craftsy.com/knitting/patterns/caora-sweater/167905
The sweater is worked in the round from the top down with raglan sleeves. Instructions are given for a wide range of sizes. The top down style is easy and lets you try on as you go. Making it quick to see if you have a gauge pattern before too much is knitted. (Also rewarding to actually try on what you are knitting), In the round eliminates pieces to sew together. I try to make all of my sweater in the round.
caorasweater_aiid777246
Dockside sweater - https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dockside-sweater (free pattern) by Alexandra Tavel
This free pattern is a bottom up, in the round sweater. This is  the first type sweater that I successfully finished. Holding two strand together makes this a super fast knit. Or you could use a bulky yarn.

Processed with VSCO with s2 preset
May your knitting needles fly as fast as Dragonflies…….

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for the description of the shrug (and trying out sleeves) -- helped me a lot in finishing mine. I love it without sleeves too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it helped, I've been tempted to make another, I think this time I will try and make it wider vs. longer to try a different fit.

      Delete
  2. Please let me know what size knitting needles you used? It seems that the link to the free LionBrand pattern is broken ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used us size 8 needles. I think I still have a pdf of the pattern saved if you need a copy. I'll try & make a link to it!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment I love reading them and really appreciate you taking the time to let me know you were here!

Popular posts from this blog

Review of a Kick Spindles Or Mother Marion to spin

When I made the decision to buy a Kick spindle I could find very little info on it, anywhere. Below is what I gathered, bought and my experience with mine. I could only find two being marketed, since I purchased mine I have found a third. Below is my views on the Kick spindle I purchased (Little Meggie from Heavenly Handspinning), and some info on all of the other Kick Spindles that I could locate. Links and costs are included. Review: Things I like about my Kick Spindle. 1. Long spin time, I like the addition of the ball bearing. 2. Leaves both hands free to draft 3. It's my "wheel" 4. I like using my foot, I am moving around and don't get stiff from one position. It's a very "active" type, rhythmic motion. 5. You can actually stand and use it also. 6. Great price point. 7. I have never spun on a wheel and when I sat down at one the first time, I could actually spin (some) I think this action of foot/hand coordination helped. 8.

Aran Shrug, Bridesmaid Wrap, Baby Bunting Pattern free

Here is the start of my "Bridesmaid wrap" from " Wedding Knits " by Suss Cousins. I am making it out of heavier yarn, From Handpainted yarns I love the yarn it is so soft and the colors are beautiful. The wrap is made in mohair in the book. I plan on making it a shorter wrap, due to the heavier yarn. I hope it turns out OK . If you check out the book link, there is photo of it. If you want a free Bridesmaid wrap pattern this is a lovely one from Knitty! I made this baby bunting, on the spur of the moment, just playing around. I used one skein of red heart yarn, and a small amount of the fun fur yarn in a coordinating color. Cast on 80 stitches at 4 sts /inch. Knit in the round, until 24 inches long. If you would rather knit flat, knit even rows, purl odd rows. Add Fun fur yarn, or other novelty yarn for the last 10 rows. Bind off, using a very loose bind off. I like to use the Elizabeth Zimmerman method of the Sewn Bind off

Crochet A Plant Hanger (easy)

It is getting frosty here and the leaves are turning beautiful colors. I had a mass die off of plants, (well, due to my neglect), I did revive a few by repotting.  I brought in some plants from the deck, which Mother Nature took better care of. I decided to hang the larger plants, to save space and didn’t have any plant hangers. I prefer to put my plants in plain clay pots, and had already made my StuffMart run for the week. I got online and looked around for an easy DIY plant hanger. Of course I couldn’t find what I was looking for, although I found some really cute ones that I will link at the end. I was going to macramé one, but when I found some crochet patterns, I thought that would be faster and just as pretty. I looked around and did find a unopened ball of jute, opened it up and got my crochet needle out and started playing around. I’ll place links in the directions in case you don’t know how to crochet, this is super easy. Crochet Plant Hanger (easy) You can customize t